After spinning for 32 years, I've accumulated a rather large assortment of bits and pieces of handspun yarn. Some was destined for projects that never got started. Some was leftover. Some was experimental. Some was spun just for relaxation. I was running out of places to stash my stash!
I wanted a new rug for the kitchen, but none of the bits were heavy enough for a rug.
AHH . light bulb moment.... I decided to chain ply all the bits together, two or three different yarns at a time - giving me a six or nine ply yarn.
My Ashford Country Spinner II was up for the job
I grabbed yarn randomly and got some jumbled colors and a mix of mostly wool with silk, alpaca, mohair, and probably something else. Some of this yarn was spun over twenty years ago.
Each skein went into a dye pot. I wanted to keep some variance and shading in the yarn, but tie the colors together a bit. Some of the skeins bled in the dye pot making the finished colors even more random. I brought the dye water to a boil to partially felt the yarns.
I ended up with about four pounds of heavy rug weft.
Next my sixty plus years vertical Dryad loom took over. I must have been in a hurry to get started because for the first time ever (and I've been weaving for thirty years), I warped the loom and didn't go over the back (or in this case, top) beam. Haste makes waste as my Grandmother always said.
Finally warped and on the way to a new kitchen rug.